Jean – Michel Basquiat: Now is the Time – Art Gallery of Ontario
Exhibit opens Feb 7, 2015 with great programming and extended hours on Friday nights.
To celebrate the first-ever Canadian retrospective (and the only North American stop) of Basquiat’s work, the AGO is offering a diverse array of programming and events:
- Timed-entry ticket are now on sale at $16.50 for youth ages 17 and under, $21.50 for seniors and $25.00 for adults. Available at ago.net(Admission free for AGO members and children five and under.)
- Friday hours in February (13,20 and 27) will be extended to 8:30 p.m. (Last entry will be 7:00 p.m.)
- The Basquiat Idea Bar program takes place on these dates from 6-8 with Shinan Govani and the Kiki Ballroom Alliance.
- Basquiat Bash Opening Party – Saturday February 7 from 6:00 to midnight. This free opening night event has 1000 free public tickets available via an online draw, with another 2000 free tickets booked by 125 community and youth groups across Toronto. DJ’s will spin Basquiat-inspired playlists. A break- dancing competition will be presented by UNITY Charity, showcasing the best break-dancers in the city.
- Pop-up Talks on Wednesday evenings.
- Basquiat for Families: Family Sundays, Family Day programming and March Break programming.
- Basquiat Symposium: March 28, 2015 for information and tickets visit ago.net/jean-michel-basquiat-nows-the-time-symposium.
- Film Screening – Downtown 81. April 8. Edo Bertoglio directed snapshot of post-punk Manhattan in the early 80’s, starring Jean-Michel Basquiat. For tickets go to ago.net
- Massive Party – Toronto’s hottest art night out and annual AGO Fundraiser returns April 23. This year’s event will bring together the city’s foremost underground artists and musicians for unforgettable performances and installations under the theme Hotbed under the artistic direction of TALWST who’ll recreate his acclaimed performance piece lanmò. Tickets are on sale at massiveparty.ca
- Youth Arts Competition: The Scratch & Mix Project, which invites GTA youth aged 14 to 30 to submit original artwork on the theme of empowering the black community via exporations of social justice-including racism, materialism and exploitation. Up to 10 finalists will be awarded $1,000, see their work featured in an AGO exhibition in April. ly/ScratchMix.